After much preparation, fundraising, setbacks, and determination to see Sonia’s dream through, we are elated to announce that the Sonia Shah Memorial School is open, and the first class of students is in attendance. We can’t think of a better way to remember Sonia as we approach the 3rd anniversary of her tragic passing.
Take a look at a progress report on the school and enjoy some photos of our very first students!
- Construction, furnishing and setting up of school has been completed.
- The Construction Work of HDF – Sonia Shah Memorial School Kangra was started on September 23, 2013 and completed in the month of February 2015. Additional work proposed subsequently has also been completed.
- On 19th of October 2014, a ceremony was held to inaugurate HDF- Sonia Shah Memorial School. Education Minister KPK, Mr. Muhammed Atif Khan was the Chief Guest at the occasion and inaugurated the school. Apart from large gathering of village elders, Sonia’s mother, Iram Shah, was also present at the event. Watch the video from the inauguration.
- The availability of teaching positions was advertised in newspaper & shortlisted candidates were called for interview. A panel conducted the interviews. Initially three teachers were hired, and more teachers will be hired as needed.
- The new teachers participated in a six-day long teacher-training workshop in the month of March 2015.
- Enrollment campaign for admissions in Class Nursery to Class 5 in the School was started in April 2015. The social mobilization and motivation activities continued through HDF Mardan Region staff and teachers of the school. Banners were displayed on the school and at prominent places in the village. So far 38 students have been enrolled: 23 in Class Nursery, 14 in Grade-1 and one student in Class 4. Efforts are underway using our own staff and school teachers to enroll the maximum number of students in the school.
- Text books have been provided to all the enrolled students.
The Sonia Shah Memorial School was bombed on December 14, 2014. There were no injuries, but the water-filtration plant was destroyed and several walls and windows of the school building were destroyed or damaged. The damaged parts of the school building and the room of filter plant have been reconstructed. As per assessment of M/S So-Safe Water Technologies (Vendor of Filter Pant) the original water filtration plant was completely destroyed, but a new plant was recently installed. Since the attack, two armed security guards have been deployed in the school to guard the school at night.